On Tuesday, the City of Boston Landmark Commission voted for a 90 day delay of demolition of the Gate of Heaven School building. Back in January, it was reported that the the Archdiocese of Boston planned to knock down the building and turn it into a parking lot. 40 parking spaces would be available for rent. So now with the delay of demo being official, everyone involved is being forced to take a second look.
This piece of property has not been without controversy. From condo development, to keeping it a school to making it a parking lot, it seems everyone has ideas of what should happen to this parcel of land. Another proposal potentially on the table is to create affordable senior housing in the existing school building.
So now what? Now the neighborhood waits to see what the fate is for the 50 year old school.
What do you think?
I think this horse has been dead for years and it’s time to act. All these delays do is prolong the inevitable and actually hurt the religious organization. The selfishness of the neighbors and community has gone too far. The needs of the community have changed, let’s put this space to good use….finally.
They could be collecting revenue as I type this, but no….everyone needs to give their uneducated & misinformed $0.02.
Make it LUXURY CONDOS.!!
LITERALLY ANYTHING THAT”S NOT NOTHING.
I don’t understand why the “another possibility potentially on the table” line continues to be raised. There are no possibilities or potentialities on the table. Anyone who attended, listened, and had questions answered at the parish/community meeting would understand that the parish received no financially viable options for the property before pursuing this plan. This plan has been proposed with the future of Gate of Heaven Church at center focus.
The parish’s plan has the support of the parishioners. It is the parishioners who have been paying $40,000+ annually to maintain, insure, and protect that vacant building. I’m sure the parish would appreciate it if everyone putting out the “alternative potential possibilities” line would commit to raising that $40,000+ while they continue to encourage the obstruction of the parish’s plans.
It’s well past time to move on and move forward.
Well the Landmark Commission needs to have their say and since giving the project the green light right away would be too logical, they needed to institute the 90 day delay so that it’s clear they have some form of authority.
Landmark Commissioners Lives Matter.