Nurture’s skin care recommendations:
A big part of your summer lifestyle probably included hanging out on the beach enjoying the sunshine (with your sunblock on, of course) and frolicking in the ocean ever so gracefully. Or perhaps you preferred floating around in your best friend’s pool? Maybe some of you were even lucky enough to hop on a plane and head to some fabulous destination that most of us can only dream about. Well, hopefully everyone enjoyed themselves and now it’s time to accept the fact that sadly, our summer is coming to an end. Here is where Nurture comes in…… chlorine, salt water, heat, humidity and travel can all dehydrate your skin. Our esthetician, Christine Catanese (formally of Elizabeth Grady on East Broadway) would like to help you get your skin back on track! Here are 5 tips to help get you started:
- Exfoliation is key for clearer, smoother skin. Perform in the mornings prior to toner, moisturizer, SPF and make-up application. Your moisturizer can now better penetrate your skin, leading to a more hydrated you….. and make-up will last longer on an exfoliated skin! Recommendation: Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant (gentle enough for every day use.)
- Keep skin hydrated. Dry skin lacks oil. Dehydrated skin lacks water so even oily skin can get dehydrated. The winter months bring drier air so refresh your skin with a revitalizing toner spritz at your desk, in the car, or on the plane. Or better yet, try a hydrating masque once a week. Recommendation: Dermalogica Antioxidant Hydra-Mist or Skin Hydrating Masque
- Drink your H20! Eight 8-ounce glasses of filtered water every day will help maintain moisture balance of your skin. So drink up, and I guarantee you’ll see a huge difference in your skin. Oh, and if you drink caffeinated beverages, count on tripling that water intake….yes, I said triple. Recommendation: Filtered water, hot or cold water with lemon, black decaf tea counts too.
- Use a soap free cleanser. Soap is drying! Washing your face with a bar of antibacterial soap is like washing your hair with dishwashing liquid. It’s just wrong. If you want to look your best, you have to start making better decisions about your basic skin care regime and choosing the right cleanser is a great start. Also, you should be cleansing and moisturizing your skin morning and night which means yes, you need to wash your make-up off before bed. No excuses….it takes 30 seconds! Recommendation: Dermalogica Pre-Cleanse and Special Cleansing Gel
- Get a facial. As we age, our cell turnover slows down making professional exfoliation critical to removing the dead skin cells that give us a dry, dull appearance. Congestion and breakouts occur when your pores get blocked. Skin needs to be softened professionally to extract those blackheads, so please, get our hands away from your face and step away from the bathroom mirror!
Recommendation: See Christine at Nurture Salon and Spa, 127 L Street, Wed. 3-8, Thurs. 3-8, Sat. 9-5 617-269-0638 And don’t worry, we have facials for all skin types.