South Boston’s street clock on West Broadway will be temporarily removed, restored over the winter, and return in the spring. The project will restore the exterior and interior surfaces as well as all the gears, weights and pulleys that keep the clock running. The work will be paid for by the City of Boston’s Edward Ingersoll Browne Fund.
South Boston’s historic clock is believed to be the last remaining gas illuminated street clock in the country. It was made by the E. Howard Company which was established in Boston in 1842. Howard Company clocks were the gold standard for public clocks. Illuminating the clock dials was a significant innovation by the company. In additional to street clocks, the Howard Company provided clocks to the Custom House Tower in Boston, the New York Life Building and the Kimball Building in Chicago.