I’m on a boat! Thinking about taking your boat to watch the Parade of Sail on June 17th? Well, read this first! You’re not just gonna get on your boat and head out! There are rules you know! See press release below:
BOSTON – As the return of the Tall Ships to Boston Harbor draws near, Sail Boston, Inc. today released recreational boating guidelines related to the June 17 – 22 maritime festival. Regulated anchorage areas and boating traffic patterns, particularly on Parade of Sail day, will help ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all participants and visitors. Sail Boston 2017 is the Official United States port of the Rendez-Vous 2017 Tall Ships Regatta, a transatlantic race featuring over 50 of the world’s most historic and celebrated Tall Ships.
Thousands of people are expected the view the ships within the harbor, and the US Coast Guard has issued timelines and guidelines that apply to all spectator vessels during the Parade of Sail and the traffic pattern for the event from June 17-21. These include:
- Anchorages open June 16, 2017 at 8:00 AM. Exception: For Anchorages 9, 11, 12, 13 there is no overnight anchoring (click on link below to view map).
- Spectators should be in temporary anchorages no later than 8:30 AM, June 17th.
- Temporary anchorages will remain in effect until 4:00 PM or at the conclusion of the Parade of Sail.
- Vessels are permitted to transit and maneuver within the temporary anchorages.
- If a vessel operator cannot safely navigate within the temporary anchorage, notify an on-scene law enforcement vessel for guidance.
- During Parade of Sail, the Safety Zone area is 1,000 yards ahead and asternand 100 yards on either side of the Tall Ship.
- There will be a 25 yards Safety Zone around each moored participating Tall Ship.
- The outer perimeter of the anchorage area will be the federal navigation channel line. Additional buoys will be used to mark the channel line as a visual reference.
- After the completion of the Parade of Sail the traffic pattern will be established through June 21, 2017.
To view anchorage map click: http://www.sailboston.com/spectator-anchorages/
For more information contact Coast Guard: [email protected]/ 617 223 8515.