1.1 min readBy Published On: July 17th, 2019Categories: Features16 Comments

When I was kid, going to Bailey’s Ice Cream Shop was always a special treat.  I remember going after visiting the Enchanted Village at Jordan Marsh at Christmastime.  My mother always made sure my brother and I were dressed up – usually matching Rothschild coats.  We would walk a few blocks in the cold from Winter Street to 45 West Street.  Inside the shop were small marble topped tables with wrought iron legs and chairs.  You ordered your ice cream sundae from a counter and it was served in silver pedestal ice cream bowls on top of silver plates with long spoons.

After your sundae, you would look at the candy in glass display cases.  Sometimes my mother would get a pound of fudge for my grandfather.  For many, it was part of growing up in Boston.  It was a tradition that was passed down for generations.  Sadly, the legendary ice cream shop closed its doors in the late 80’s.

What’s your Bailey’s memory?

History Lesson

Opening in 1873 at 45 West Street, Bailey’s sold candy and ice cream.  The owners were John B. Bailey and D.H. Page.  When Bailey’s first opened, the shop focused on candy but later added ice cream.  Eventually, Bailey’s opened up 11 ice cream shops.

Image via Dirty Old Boston Instagram

16 Comments

1. Veet Plezz November 9, 2021 at 12:02 am - Reply

I used to work at Baileys in Harvard Sq. If anyone has any pics, I’d love to take a look.
    Veet

2. Peta Richkus January 3, 2022 at 1:34 pm - Reply

When I lived in RI (late 60’s), my regular day trips to Boston always included ‘lunch’ at Bailey’s. If lunch was their overflowing butterscotch sundae… It got walked off. (lol)

3. Ace Lightning January 10, 2022 at 4:24 am - Reply

My aunt who lived in Chelsea always took me shopping for “back to school clothes” in Filene”s or Jordan Marsh (I usually stayed with her over my summer vacation). And then of course we’d go to Bailey’s. I’d eat a sundae (with the hot fudge running over the top of the tulip glass and dripping own onto the plate) and get some bulk candy – they made some “crystal mints” that were very minty and I loved them.

4. Ace Lightning January 10, 2022 at 4:26 am - Reply

Does Bailey’s still exist?

• Maureen Dahill January 10, 2022 at 10:50 am - Reply

Sadly, it does not!

5. Cate January 18, 2022 at 3:34 am - Reply

I worked at the Arlington St. location in the late 70’s.

6. Susanne Varnum January 28, 2022 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I worked at 60 State Street and loved going there on my lunch hour – I especially liked their pink and yellow gummy bunnies! Sooooo good

7. Christine February 4, 2022 at 2:29 pm - Reply

Used to love going to the one in Harvard Square in the 80s and also the one in Coolidge Corner.

8. Cati Lahive February 15, 2022 at 7:16 pm - Reply

Trips to Filene’s, Jordan Marsh and RH Sterns with my grandmother, Minnie were always memorable. Taking the train from West Roxbury we would do our shopping and end our day with lunch at Bailey’s. This would consist of either an egg salad or cream cheese and jelly sandwich, followed by the most decadent hot fudge sundae I have ever had the pleasure of eating. The tulip shaped silver goblet would be placed in front of me filled with delicious vanilla ice cream overflowing with marshmallow and hot fudge crowned with whipped cream and a cherry. The marshmallow and hot fudge cascaded down the sides of the frozen vanilla treat onto the white plate it snuggled into. These are some of my favorite memories with one of my favorite people. I brought my children when they were little to the swan boats then to Bailey’s to share my experience…..sadly Bailey’s had closed it’s doors. Very disappointing fortunately I still have my memories. Thank you Minnie and Thank you Bailey’s!!

9. Roy Magnuson March 5, 2022 at 3:20 pm - Reply

Does anyone remember if the Bailey’s on West St. had a second floor? I remember going somewhere in this area for lunch in the 1950’s with my mom and we always rode up an escalator that was on the right as we entered. A grilled cheese sandwich with a chocolate frappe. So delicious those lunches were.

10. Michelle March 5, 2022 at 5:33 pm - Reply

Did Baileys sell special gifts for holidays? I have 3 nesting Easter decorated eggs. The large one is almost as big as a football l. The middle one inside the large one has a red sticker on the inside that says Baileys 26 Temple Place Boston Mass.

• Brenda J Proctor July 5, 2022 at 7:36 pm - Reply

My mom moved from Maine to Boston in 1976 she bragged on about bailey’s and once I took my first bite into my chocolate sundae I understood why she spoke so highly of Bailey’s, wonderful memories

11. James Carras March 21, 2022 at 12:51 pm - Reply

Michelle, baileys for Christmas and Easter had special boxes for their candy. The boxes you described were Baileys specials. Let me know if you are willing to sell it. I am writing a history of baileys.

12. Karen Gardner-Ogg March 30, 2022 at 9:59 am - Reply

Will never forget my trips on the train from Reading,MA with my grandmother to Filenes basement and either Durgin Park or Baileys for lunch.
    The places and times will always leave a special memory in those who were lucky enough to enjoy Boston in a somewhat calmer manner with those now gone.

13. LF April 30, 2022 at 10:41 am - Reply

While I went to school in Boston I worked part time in their office, on Temple Place. Such nice people and fond memories. Their chocolates were delicious too!

14. Sara Orel May 11, 2022 at 1:21 am - Reply

My Dad used to deliver their newspaper in the 1930s and if the store was not busy they would give him an ice cream. I was glad to have been taken there in 1983. I remember the hot fudge marshmallow sundae.