Here’s the scoop on Boston’s only Pinewood Derby Race where you can drink!
A pinewood derby is a racing event for unmanned miniature cars. The races will be Sunday, August 7th at Grand Ten Distillery.
Racers build their own cars from kits containing a block of pine wood, plastic wheels, and metal axles. Kits can be picked up at GrandTen for 5 bucks or find your own. Rules on how you build your car are here.
GrandTen has a two-lane 35-foot all-aluminum track. See details here. Race times are recorded to an accuracy of 0.001 of a second to determine the winner.
Each race day there will be a ladder-style bracket. The first racer of the day starts the ladder. Each racer can challenge the car 1 or 2 above them. The winner moves up, the loser moves down. The top of the ladder is the fastest car. Stay at the top until the end and you are the champion!
Basic kits are available online or at the distillery.
The Race Day
SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY
The races start at 2 pm and continue till 5 pm. Racers are free to show up any time during racing hours. New cars start at the bottom of the ladder. We will keep an active race list. Races will be run at a set interval dependent on the number of participants on race day (every 5 mins).
- Racers start at the bottom of the ladder when they arrive
- Racers are free to arrive anytime during racing hours (2 pm – 5 pm)
- Racers can challenge other cars on the ladder 1 or 2 spots above them
- If you are on the ladder, you have to race. If you are unable to race you forfeit the run.
- Races will be run at a set interval dependent on the number of participants on race day (at official’s discretion).
- A racer can only challenge other cars not already on the active race list.
- A car cannot be on the race list for multiple races at the same time. A car must complete the race before entering the list again.
- Racers not on the list must accept any incoming legal challenges.
- Race Day Official has the final say in all disputes.
Lots of Winners.
- Fastest time
- Top of the ladder
- Prettiest car
- How do I get a car?
You can buy a kit to build a car at the distillery or anyplace else that sells them.
- Is it ok if my Dad and/or Mom builts my car for me?
Yes, but only if you get them something nice when they finish.
- How much does it cost to race?
It is free to race.
- Can I make adjustments between races?
Yes, as long the car is ready when it’s time for its race.
- Can I break the laws of physics to win?
We don’t know, can you