Boston Harbor Now is hosting three neighborhood events this week! From historical tours, to dog mixers, to free outdoor concerts! All right here in South Boston!
Boston HarborWalk Tour of Fort Independence
Join Mike Manning of the Friends of the Boston HarborWalk on Thursday, June 20th for a special evening guided tour of Fort Independence at Castle Island. This tour will focus on the history of Boston Harbor from the first harbor fort (1634) to the closing of the Charlestown Navy Yard (1974). Explore 340 years of history in 90 minutes! After the tour of the exterior of the fort and discussion of the harbor, you can venture inside the fort for a sunset walk around the ramparts. Hear stories of Edgar Allen Poe, French prisoners of war (from the Quasi War), and Union deserters (from the Civil War). Meet at 6pm to the right of Sullivan’s restaurant at the tables where there is a blue pole beacon with a small wind turbine and solar panel. All are welcome, but please only RSVP if you plan to come, as space is limited and we want to be able to contact you in case of inclement weather. Tickets are $10 and can be purchase here!
Free Concert on Dorchester Heights
Visitors can sit on the porch and enjoy live music, set up a picnic dinner, roast marshmallows on the beach, hike with a ranger, try your hand at fly fishing, or relax in a hammock.
Bring your own picnic or make it easy to have a gourmet meal en plein airwith one of our picnic packages (must be ordered in advance). Make it a picture perfect island experience by adding a picnic basket and blanket.
The first event in this series on Saturday, June 29th from 4:30pm-8:30pm will feature a Trillium Beer Garden.
Tickets are $35 and include:
Your ticket includes:
- A round trip ferry ride from Boston
- S’mores on the beach
- Live music by Dan Walker Band
- Lawn games
- Fly fishing with L.L.Bean
- Breathtaking sunset views of Boston
- A guided hike with a park ranger
You can purchase tickets here!
Guests must arrive at Long Wharf North by 4:00 pm to board the 4:30 pm boat to Spectacle Island. The boat will leave on time and WILL NOT wait for late island-goers. No refunds. Walk-ups are accepted for private boaters.
Optional Picnic Menu (MUST BE ORDERED BY 6/24):
All options include a fresh apple, a bag of kettle chips, a bottle of sparkling water, a chocolate chip cookie, and a cutlery kit. Please note – there will not be food sales on the island.
- Cheese and Charcuterie Platter with clothbound cheddar, genoa salami, wildflower honey, whole grain mustard, baguette toast
- Cheese Platter with clothbound cheddar, classic brie, wildflower honey, blueberry jam, baguette toast
- Quinoa Bowl with roasted sweet potato, cumin-spiced black beans, dried cranberries, red onion, arugula, lemon vinaigrette
- Turkey Sandwich with lettuce, sliced turkey, swiss, baguette
Leave A Comment