It’s so important to be safe when hailing a cab – especially in this new age of Uber and Hailo. Boston police, along with local livery services – like Uber – are now trying to inform people how to safely take a taxi home at night. Here are some tips:
- Do not get into unmarked taxi or livery cars
- Only use licensed cabs or clearly identifiable livery service cars that have been called to the location
- Check for a licensed medallion, the metal badge on a vehicle that shows it is registered with the Boston Police Department. (to see picture visit http://www.cityofboston.gov/police/hackney/taxis.asp)
- The logo and other lettering on the cab should be permanent and made of vinyl rather than a temporary magnet placed on the door
- Drivers should have a posted photo identification
As always the buddy-system works best. If it’s late at night and you can avoid taking a cab home alone, try to share a taxi with a friend.
Be safe, Southie!