Here’s the scoop on the parking/street closing situation on Parade Day in Southie.
City of Boston Traffic Advisory
The City of Boston’s annual St. Patrick’s Day parade will be held on Sunday, March 15, 2015, in South Boston. The parade will begin at 1 PM on West Broadway at Dorchester Avenue, will continue to East Broadway, and end at Farragut Road.
The St. Patrick’s Day Road Race will also take place in South Boston on Sunday beginning at 11 AM. Runners will proceed from West Sixth Street at F Street onto Dorchester Street, right onto East Broadway, down and around the Farragut Statue at Day Boulevard, to East Broadway, right onto West Broadway, left onto E Street, left onto West Sixth Street, ending at the Boys and Girls Club at #230 West Sixth Street.
To accommodate the two events, staging/dispersal and clean-up, drivers should expect the following roads to be closed to vehicular traffic. Streets effected by the parade will close no later than 12 PM and streets effected by the road race will close no later than 10 AM.
- Broadway, from Dorchester Avenue to Farragut Road
- On intersecting streets from Dorchester Avenue through Farragut Road, vehicular traffic will not be allowed to cross Broadway
- Dorchester Avenue, in the vicinity of Gillette Park and Andrew Square
- Old Colony Avenue, from Dorchester Avenue to C Street
- Farragut Road, from Columbia Road to Shore Road/East First Street
- All race route streets while the runners make their way to the finish line
Due to a combination of snow and Resident Parking Only restrictions, parking in the neighborhood is limited. Additional parking restrictions that will be implemented temporarily to support Sunday’s events are as follows.
“Tow Zone, No Stopping, Boston Police Special Event Sunday”
- Dorchester Avenue – Both sides, from Gillette Park to Old Colony Avenue (Staging Area)
- Old Colony Avenue – Both sides, from Dorchester Avenue to C Street (Staging Area)
- West Broadway – Both sides, from Dorchester Avenue to Dorchester Street
- East Broadway – Both sides, from Dorchester Street to Farragut Road
- East Broadway Extension – Both sides, from Farragut Road to Day Boulevard
- Farragut Road – Both sides, from Day Boulevard to Shore Road /East First Street (Dispersal area)
- West Sixth Street – Southwest side, from Dorchester Avenue to F Street
- F Street – Southeast side (odd side – Boys & Girls Club side), West Sixth Street to Bowen Street
- Summer Street – South Station side, Atlantic Avenue heading east to the first MBTA bus stop – Both sides, at East First Street, extended MBTA bus stops
- East First Street – North side, between Acadia Street and M Street
People coming into Boston to attend these events are kindly asked to take the MBTA. Information on service may be found at www.MBTA.com. For a faster return trip, the MBTA advises riders to purchase a round-trip rather than a one-way ticket.
DCR Parking Advisory: Resident Parking for South Boston St. Patrick’s Day Parade
All vehicles not displaying a South Boston resident parking sticker will be asked to exit the Castle Island parking lot before 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 14. Due to parking restrictions created by the parade, DCR will accommodate vehicles with valid South Boston resident parking stickers at Castle Island from 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 14, through 10:00 p.m. on Monday, March 16. After 7:00 a.m. on Sunday, March 15, the lot will open to parking for all visitors.
The Castle Island parking lot will be staffed overnight through Sunday. All vehicles will be checked for South Boston Resident Parking Stickers between 7:00 p.m. Saturday and 7:00 a.m. Sunday. Non-resident vehicles will be allowed to park at Castle Island after 7:00 a.m. on Sunday. All cars will be allowed to park overnight on Sunday into Monday, March 16. Normal Castle Island parking restrictions return on Monday, March 16, 2015.
DAY BOULEVARD Parking, Shore Road
Beginning at 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. Sunday evening, parking will be allowed on both sides of Day Boulevard between the Bayside Expo Center and Farragut Road. Certain areas will be posted no parking on the day of the parade and parking rules will be strictly enforced. As always, do not park near fire hydrants, crosswalks, in handicap spots, or in intersections. Additionally, parking at curb cuts, on grass areas, sidewalks, and other pedestrian areas including double parking, will result in the issuance of parking tickets and fines. The Sugar Bowl parking lot opposite Marine Park will be closed to parking as of Saturday, March 14, at 10:00 p.m. No parking will be allowed in the Sugar Bowl lot until after the event on Sunday, March 15.
Additionally, Shore Road between Farragut Road and Day Blvd. will reverse direction and be one-way traffic only (eastbound) from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.
(per discretion of the Massachusetts State Police)
WHEN: 7:00 p.m. Saturday, March 14, 2014 – 10:00 p.m. Monday, March 16, 2015
WHERE: Castle Island Parking Lot OPEN to vehicles with valid South Boston Resident Parking stickers at 7:00 p.m. Saturday until 10 p.m. Monday.
Castle Island open to parking for all visitors Sunday, March 15, at 7:00 a.m.,
Day Boulevard, both sides, parking allowed: from Bayside Expo Center to Farragut Street from 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. on SUNDAY only.
Sugar Bowl Parking Area CLOSED from Saturday, March 14 at 10:00 p.m. to Sunday, March 15 at 7:00 p.m.
Channel Center Street Garage:
Channel Center Garage
Offering a parking rate of $10/day for South Boston residents and general public. This rate will go into effect Saturday night for residents to get their cars off the road in advance of the parade and Road Race.