0.5 min readBy Published On: August 9th, 2016Categories: News1 Comment on Fire on East Fourth Street

The Boston Fire Department announced the cause of a four-alarm fire that destroyed a house under renovation on East Fourth Street on Monday night. Investigators determined that floor finishing materials found on oily rags stored in trash bags as the cause.  BFD made discovery via twitter.

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 9.44.07 AM

The fire started at 797 E. Fourth Street at approximately 10:30pm.  It is believed damage is about $1million and cause damaged to two adjacent homes.  5 neighbors have been displaced.

Special thanks to the BFD for keeping our neighborhood safe!  

Photo via Boston Fire twitter

One Comment

  1. Michael W. August 9, 2016 at 8:04 pm - Reply

    Sounds like it was linseed oil. Rags can spontaneously ignite if not dried properly before disposal. Here’s a clip from an ABC story on the hazard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yq6VW-c2Ts

Leave A Comment