1.4 min readBy Published On: January 11th, 2021Categories: News0 Comments on BPS Exam School Plan for 2021-2022

Back in October – after a marathon virtual – the Boston School Committee voted unanimously to eliminate the exam for the 2021-2022 school year for admission into the exam schools – Boston Latin School, Boston Latin Academy and the O’Bryant.

So how will students be admitted for the 2021-2022 school year?

According to the plan, 20% of seats would be allocated to students with the city’s top grades. The remaining 80% would be admitted to the schools based on their GPA within their home ZIP code. Eligible students from the lowest-income ZIP codes given first choice.

A pool of eligible BPS students would be created for those who either maintained a B average in school this academic year or who “met or exceeded expectations” on the 2019 MCAS test. You can see the full recommended plan via BPS here.

What’s the point of this shift away from an exam?

Well, number one – we’re in a middle of a pandemic and administering a test during disrupted learning is not ideal. The plan also projects a rise of 15 percentage points in the number of seats apportioned to Black and Latino students.

Is the exam for these three school gone for good?

As of now, this only applies to student candidates for the 2021-22 academic year for now

Here’s a look at the allocations of seats based on zip code

BOSTON PARENT COALITION FOR ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE (BPCAE) released a chart featuring allocations of seats based on zip code below:


Here is the timeline below:

Leave A Comment