Just around 6pm on Wednesday, a report of an ammonia leak came into 911. Boston firefighters responded at the Stavis Seafoods’ warehouse at 7 Channel St. near the waterfront to reports of a leak and possibly someone trapped inside. Boston Fire hazmat team were able to shut off the main valve and stop the leak but were unable to rescue the worker who was trapped on the second floor.
According to the Boston Globe, firefighters attempted to rescue the victim but could not reach him due to the fumes.
“They made a valiant effort, but they were pushed back by the ammonia,” Steve McDonald, a BFD spokesperson, said.
This was a level 3 hazmat situation and the area was closed off until late Wednesday night. Officials estimated the building had 5,300 pounds of ammonia in tanks.
Image from BFD
Leave A Comment