1.4 min readBy Published On: May 27th, 2015Categories: News0 Comments on 2 Alarm Fire on West Sixth Street

in South Boston

A deck fire broke out on Wednesday morning at 1:25am at a condo complex at 165 West Sixth Street.  It’s estimated to have caused $250,000 in damage and displace about 20 people.  The reason for the fire?

According to Steve McDonald – spokesperson for the Boston Fire Department, “A cigarette butt was put in a planter. A lit cigarette butt caused the fire.”  The technical term for that would be “careless disposal” of a cigarette.  We say it’s someone just being a jabroni.    See video of fire below. 

Also, a reminder about outdoor fires and grills in Southie too.  We see a lot of these Boston Fire Department codes being violated constantly in our neighborhood. 

Outdoor Fires and Grilling:

  • No outdoor fires are allowed in Boston, including fire pits, chimineys and bonfires.
  • Charcoal grills must be on the ground and away from buildings. Keep in mind the wind and never leave unattended. When done, dispose of the ash in a metal container once completely out.
  • Propane tank grills are only allowed on first floor porches with steps to the ground. Do not place propane tank grills near air conditioners or up against a building. Make sure all connections are tight and never carry propane tanks into a home.
  • Grills should always be used in a well-ventilated area. 

For more of the City of Boston’s summer safety tips visit: https://caughtinsouthie.com/news-politics/mayor-says-“have-safe-and-enjoyable-summer”