3.1 min readBy Published On: November 26th, 2021Categories: Features9 Comments

Every now and then a mystery comes along that is so enthralling it captivates the whole world.  Who took the Lindbergh baby?  Who shot JFK?  Who shot RFK?  Who shot JR?  Where are the Gardner paintings?  And now, what the hell is going on with the Boston Athletic Club?

Like every other law-abiding gym and fitness center in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the Boston Athletic Club, or BAC, closed its doors in March of 2020, but unlike most other gyms and fitness centers, it hasn’t opened back up.  A gym like the BAC seemed especially well-equipped to handle Covid protocols.  The space itself is HUGE; two spacious levels, courts both basketball and tennis, plenty of equipment, and a large parking lot that could have supported countless outdoor bootcamps.  So, what the hell is going on?

Well folks, I don’t know…but I do know that the BAC has been posting on social media for the past 20-ish months like everything is hunky dory (trademark Kathy Hilton).  Not an update to be found, but plenty of at home workouts, healthy recipes, and kids crafts, but, again, not one God damn clue as to when they’re reopening their doors.  And when someone does ask about opening back up, their question is either ignored or they get a vague non-answer about the pandemic being incredibly difficult for the fitness industry and to keep the faith.  And I get it, the pandemic has been incredibly hard on the fitness industry, but I think a great way to combat the strife of the past almost two years would be to, oh, I don’t know, OPEN BACK UP?  Are we to believe that the BAC management is like those Japanese soldiers in the jungle who didn’t know WWII was over?  Do they know like every other gym is open?

Like any good investigative journalist, I have sources, and I pressed them good.  Everyone I talked to have a different answer for “do you know what’s going on with the BAC?”, it was like on Game of Thrones when Varys gave everyone different gossip to snuff out the mole, only the opposite and not at all.  I’ve heard everything from the innocent “they’re opening back up in January”, to the nefarious “they’re selling out to LifeTime Fitness.  Why is selling to LifeTime Fitness* nefarious?  Have you seen what they charge?  It’s like Equinox** prices without the Kiehl’s products or possibility of seeing Paulie D doing preacher curls.

If anyone from the BAC is reading this, I ask that you pay special attention to this part right here; your (former) members do not, as your Facebook posts suggest, want to head over to your YouTube page to watch someone read Harold and the Purple Crayon or learn a healthy Thanksgiving recipe (I think anyone who tries to serve a “healthy” Thanksgiving recipe should go straight to the Gulag but that’s for another day).  We want to work out.  I’m vaxxed and boosted and want to go back to my gym, so let’s get on with it.

For the record, we reached out the BAC’s parent company’s PR person and never heard back. If you have any BAC info please let us know!

*I’m willing to lie and say I never said LifeTime Fitness was too expensive if anyone from LifeTime Fitness wants to give me a free membership.

**Public service announcement, I’m not saying I had to forge an out of state job offer and apartment lease to get out of my Equinox membership, but I am saying their contract is very hard to get out of.

9 Comments

1. Joe cook November 26, 2021 at 1:19 pm - Reply

Thank you for the update. Well written

2. Steve Durant November 26, 2021 at 6:24 pm - Reply

Hysterical!!! And Brilliant

3. Nathan Youngs November 29, 2021 at 6:06 pm - Reply

Hi Heather! I’m Nate, the General Manager over at Republic Fitness in downtown Boston. I’d love to offer you a free year of membership at my club! Feel free to reach out via email and I’d be happy to set you up with a tour and your membership. Look forward to hearing from you, great article by the way – it was a fun read 🙂

• Heather December 17, 2021 at 12:02 pm - Reply

Ooohhh Nate you’re speaking my language! I’ll email you, thank you so much!

4. Geraldine Cummins December 2, 2021 at 9:48 pm - Reply

Congratulations Heather, go for it. Get your years membership and then let us all know what you think of Republic Fitness and maybe by then you will be able to tell us what is going on with the BAC.
    Great article and waiting anxiously for answers on BAC.Good luck and keep up the good work.

5. Sandy December 8, 2021 at 11:20 pm - Reply

Moved to Southie (and Boston) in June. Have been dying for a good gym at prices mortals can afford. Thought it was going to be BAC when we moved here. Clearly still waiting. Hated Gold’s Gym, Equinox prices are bonkers and every other gym is the size of a closet. Hope you find out what’s happening.

6. Cathy O. December 18, 2021 at 2:06 pm - Reply

Oh my goodness! This is such a necessary journalistic investigation! Thank you. For those of us who have been going to the BAC for over 25 years, this is not OK! My whole lifestyle is disrupted.

7. Susan December 28, 2021 at 10:46 am - Reply

I assume they’re not collecting membership fees?

8. Bruce Parnell December 31, 2021 at 7:56 am - Reply

Great article! Please keep us updated on this issue. I also have a quick question about where I can find a gym that is handicapped accessible, and has equipment that a person like myself, that’s a bilateral amputee, and in a wheelchair can use. Also, if there is a local pool that could accommodate me as well. I used to belong to the North Suburban YMCA in Woburn,MA. but was told I couldn’t use the pool, because they aren’t equipped to handle a person with my disability. Pool exercise is one of the few ways I can actually workout. I’ve also noticed there aren’t many wheelchair bound people that go to the gym that I do, also have been told I can’t use certain machines due to them worrying about my getting injured.(I would never do anything that might even remotely get me injured. Thank you for your time, have a great weekend, Happy New Year! 🎊🎊🎉🎉🍾🍾🥂🥂🥳🥳 🙏🏻💪🏻💪🏻 lol