This is not your average “packie” or corner store!!
When you enter East SIde Market, yes, it is true you will find your corner store staples….milk, newspapers, scratch tickets, even shoe laces!!!
Here is what surprised Caught In Southie:
- A wide selection of wines- including sustainable and organic selections
- Beers- both foreign and domestic as well as a growing selection of craft beers
- Straight from Malden, DOM’s famous steak tips and honey mustard turkey tips
- Better than Bakery baguettes
- Vermont Bacon
- G’Vanni’s North End pasta sauce
- Goat Cheese from Westfield
- Freshly ground and locally roasted Beanstock Organic Coffee
- Chobani Yogurt and organic Quinoa for the health conscious
- Popcorners for those that need gluten-free snacks
- Skinny Girl Margaritas~ nothing says summer like a margarita!!!
So who is behind this “more than just a corner store” gem on the East side?
Introducing Steve Neidhardt.
Steve transformed the former store 7 years ago after spending 20 years in the high tech industry to ultimately follow his passion…food and wine. He attended culinary school and spent much of his time studying wine and food pairings. He also co-owns the “The Main Course Market” in Canton, Ma~ a high end market specializing in high quality prepared foods. Expect to see more of the Main Course dishes in East Side Market very soon!!
Steve would like South Bostonians to think of him first when looking for a delicious meal and wine to go!
How does he do it?
Steve tastes all the wine before he buys. He searches for over performing wines at great prices. He finds deals and overstocks so he can bring the discount to you. He is so knowledgeable about wine, that he searches for varietals that are not as popular and is an expert at spotting 2nd Labels~ wine that a respected producer makes from grapes grown on the same estates and, often on the very same vines as their more expensive counterparts and offer great quality at a fraction of the price of the big-name wine. He shelves some lower priced wine but most of his selection ranges from $10 to $20.
Steve can also bring his knowledge right to your living room. He can do demonstrations and tastings in your home! You can have a wine / food pairing, or perhaps you want to pick wine and food from a specific country or maybe you don’t want to cook…Steve can bring the wine AND the food from his gourmet catering business. SO many options!!
A couple more FYI’s:
- Stop in on a Friday or Saturday and you might even find a tasting going on
- For an order of $10 or more, East Side will deliver to your door !! Have your ID ready!
- Check out his new blog…”The Spill on Wine” found on the website
474 East 8th between G Street and H Street
Photography by Deborah McCarthy