you may or may not know
The trial for reputed mob boss, James “Whitey” Bulger began this week at the Moakley Federal Courthouse. Here are 10 little tidbits you may or may not know about Whitey:
- Those close to him called him Charlie
- In the 1950′, he was a subject of government LSD experiments while in prison. Bulger volunteered to take part in this covert CIA program called MK-ULTRA in exchange for time off from his sentence.
- He did time at Alcatraz for bank robbery
- He was a master of disguise and was rumored to have dressed up as a woman.
- James “Whitey” Bulger was one of 5 children. His brother Billy was president of the Massachusetts State Senate
- Bulger’s longtime girlfriend Theresa Stanley did not want to go on the lam with him. He took Catherine Grieg, another girlfriend, with him instead.
- James Whitey Bulger’s father was from Harbour Grace, Newfoundland and his mother was from Ireland
- In the summer of 1991, Bulger and three friends won the Massachusetts Lottery and shared a prize of around $14 million. The winning ticket was sold at the liquor store Bulger own. There is much controversy around whether in fact Bulger purchased this ticket or used it to launder money.
- FBI’s most wanted fugitive, James “Whitey” Bulger was found in August of 2011 in Santa Monica, CA. According to reports, when FBI agents found Bulger, he patted agents on the back and congratulated them.