Some helpful tips on food shopping the healthy way from our friends at Nutritious Navigation!
- Know the layout. Every grocery store/food market may be slightly different so knowing which aisles contain necessary items is key! If you can avoid going down the tempting aisles (think chips/cookies) it may help to deter the urge to bring them home with you!
- Shop with a list. Shop with MEALS in mind so you’re shopping with a recipe or with a purpose and not buying unneeded items. It’s ok to indulge but try to limit purchases to smaller, pre-packaged items.
- Don’t go shopping hungry! We’ve heard this one before but it’s worth repeating!
- Read the labels. Watch out for trans fat and sodium and read the ingredient list closely.
- Stay organized! Keep a list of what items need to be replenished as they go to avoid running out of key “kitchen staples.”
Fresh Produce (in season for Fall): squash, broccoli, apples*, cauliflower, pomegranates, grapes*, swiss chard, turnips, mushrooms, pear, pineapple, artichokes, persimmons, pumpkin, bagged salad greens, bagged slaw mix
*Recommended to purchase “Organic” due to higher pesticide amounts.
Meat/Poultry/Fish: ground beef, 96% lean, ground turkey, skinless/boneless chicken breast, tofu, fish fillets, shrimp
Dairy/Eggs/Cheese: yogut (greek, low-fat, low-sugar), cottage cheese (low-fat), eggs, egg substitute, cheese (low-fat, reduced-fat, park-skim)
Oils: cooking spray, olive oil
Vinegars/Condiments: balsamic, broth, hot pepper sauce, marinara sauce, mustard, soy sauce, hummus, salsa, etc
Nuts: walnuts, almonds, pistachios, etc
Nut butter: natural-style nut butter
Beans: black, chickpeas, kidney, etc
Canned items: artichoke hearts, diced tomatoes, tuna, salmon
Grains and Pasta: quinoa, oatmeal, quick-cooking barley, lentils, whole-grain cereal, whole-wheat breads and pasta
Spices/Seasonings: crushed red pepper, black ground pepper, salt, etc
Frozen vegetables: broccoli, mixed vegetables, etc
Frozen fruit: berries, mango, etc
Frozen protein: tilapia fillets, shrimp
Packaged snacks: whole grain crackers, air popped popcorn, whole-grain tortilla chips , dark chocolate, crystallized ginger
Maureen Dahill is the editor of Caught in Southie and a lifelong resident of South Boston sometimes mistaken for a yuppie. Co-host of Caught Up, storyteller, lover of red wine and binge watching TV series. Mrs. Peter G. Follow her @MaureenCaught.
Leave A Comment